This was posted on Facebook recently by my friend Svenya, for her son, Tanyan’s 13th birthday.
Kieran and Tanyan are basically besties and as Kieran is turning 13 in May, I asked Svenya if I could steal it and post it on my blog. It resonated so deeply and is something we can constantly affirm to our children, no matter what their ages……
13 Things I want you to know…
- Parents don’t know everything, but they know more than you can imagine.
- It’s okay not to fit in, don’t try and be someone you’re not.
- Whatever arguments your parents have, it is never your fault.
- Try your best. Always.
- Mistakes don’t define you, even if they define a certain moment in your life.
- Feeling angry, sad or powerless at times is okay. Don’t fight those feelings. Find a way to get to a better place.
- Nobody will remember 20 years from now whether you were picked first or last to be on a team, don’t sweat it.
- Needing is different from wanting, learn the difference and don’t forget it.
- Don’t be scared of failure, all setbacks have the potential to become something positive, even if they hurt.
- Hang in there – when it gets dark, it really is the darkest before dawn.
- I will always be an arms length away, even if you want to be alone.
- Choose your friends wisely, the best ones will bring you so much joy, the worst will bring you down.
- I love you. No matter what you do. No matter what you say. I might not always agree with you and we might not always like each other all the time, but I will always love you for being you
And lastly, don’t stop shifting my crown and never stop asking me for random hugs and kisses.
I love you more than all the sand on all the beaches
This is perfect for those leftover Hot Cross Buns that you didn’t get to finish or perhaps like us, just grew royally tired of!
I took this recipe from the internet, but tweaked it a bit (and probably added a bit more brandy than was called for!)
- 6 chocolate hot cross buns
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g roughly chopped good-quality dark chocolate
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 600ml thin cream
- 600ml thickened cream, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 170g caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy (optional)
- Icing sugar, to dust
Split the hot cross buns and butter each half. Lay the bases in a baking dish, sprinkle with the chopped dark chocolate, then place the bun tops on the bases.
Place the vanilla essence in a saucepan with the cream, and heat over low heat until just simmering. Remove from the heat.
Beat the eggs, sugar and brandy until just combined, then pour into the warm cream, stirring continuously. Pour the custard evenly over the buns and set the pudding aside for 30 minutes for the buns to soak up some of the custard. (The pudding can be prepared to this stage several hours in advance and refrigerated – just bring to room temperature before baking.)
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 170°C.
Place the pudding dish in a large roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the pudding dish. Place in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the custard is set. Dust with icing sugar and serve with extra cream if desired.
Wha la! The finished product. With dark chocolate oozing out and home made custard surrounding the warm bun, it was truly heaven!